Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Dreaming to Run

A nice, simple poem inspired by an amazing group of athletes.


I have a sticky-note at my bedside
with a time I will never achieve
so that I can dream of being better than
I tell myself to believe.
I fall asleep with my sense of pride
evaporating with each stride—
not into nothingness,
but slinking down my worn legs
and residing in my socks.

While I sleep I twitch and naturally glide into form
with high hips, toes caressing the footboard,
pattering back and forth.
And as I drift away,
so drift my doubts out of my uniform,
which, by the way, holds
the world record for making me carry my chest high.
I exhale; my tight lungs show the sky how to part like Moses
before letting the air burn down and up my throat.

I run because my sheets, under the tutelage of my rubbed-off sweat,
are crying for me to churn out another set.
And through my quiet murmurs,
my pillow trains me to keep my eyes up,
turnover dialed-in to the frequency of the finish line,
unbending gaze locked on the sticky-note
just on the other side of my closed eyelids.


No comments:

Post a Comment